Instagram and employer branding go together like strawberries and whip cream. They just do.
Regardless of what happens in the social media world, Instagram continues to be the best social media platform for employer branding.
Instagram works well for recruitment marketing and candidate communications too. In fact, as I’m writing this post, we are about to finish our own organic recruitment campaign on Instagram for Emine, our family’s employer branding agency.
In this episode of the Building a Modern Employer Brand -podcast, I’ll share with you some of the latest Instagram updates and changes I saw relevant for the purpose of employer branding and other talent marketing. But first check out this blog post to get additional insight into what will be hot on Instagram in employer branding in 2022.
Why Instagram works so well for employer branding?
There are a few reasons why Instagram is so great for employer branding specifically:
- The visual aspect makes it so easy for the brain. That’s why more and more people opt for Instagram. The more we put content on the Internet and on social media, the more our brains desire break from it. The visual format is the break. We are drawn to Instagram.
- The emphasis on narrative content enhances the positive impact on our brains. Our brains also prefer information in a narrative format. Instagram has made it so easy for everyone to create narrative content in the form of Stories, Reels, Instagram Videos and Instagram Live.
- Experiencing users lives through their lenses gives us the opportunity to get to know them as real people. Just think about how you have been able to “get to know” your favourite celebrities and other inspirational people behind their professional walls as human beings just like you and me. Taking down your professional walls as an organization can be done so naturally on Instagram. It just fits there when it might seem out of place on LinkedIn, for example.
Why it is a great idea to do employer branding on Instagram?
The really exciting new ways to use Instagram in employer branding in 2022
Most companies continue to use Instagram pretty much solely for publishing images on the feed. And we do that as well at Emine, our employer branding agency.
It is easy and convenient.
However, if you need to grow your account and you want to get more out of Instagram for talent acquisition for example, posting just pictures on the feed simply isn’t the best strategy any longer.
How to use Instagram for employer branding and recruitment marketing?
Instagram has introduced several really exciting features over the past year or so, and most of them can add significant value for your talent marketing efforts on Instagram.
As we move forward to 2022, I definitely encourage you to change your Instagram strategy when it comes to employer branding (or other talent marketing) and stop posting random pictures on your feed.
There is so much more to Instagram in 2022 and it will pay out for you to at least try it out!
Instagram algorithm favors the video format
Picture or video?
Go for video.
You now have several options for content creation considered as video by the infamous Instagram algorithm:
- Posting GIF’s instead of a photo on your feed. Yes, a video.
- Creating animated carousel posts on the feed. Also a video and you can do those for free on Canva.
- Creating 30-60 second Reels with images, spoken video or silent video clips with text stickers. You don’t even have to show your face, even though that would be the best considering employer branding is about showing the real person(laity) of your employer brand.
- Using Instagram Video to give a glimpse to how it looks like and feels like working in your company.
- Promoting your vacancies in the Stories and applying engagement stickers.
- Scheduling Instagram Lives for example to talk and answer to questions about your recruitment process and specific vacancies. You can now promote your schedule events easily in your Stories and your followers can opt for getting a reminder when the Live starts.
Check out Instagram’s own blog for Instagram tips and news >>
Listen to episode 90 in the Building a Modern Employer Brand podcast with Susanna Rantanen
In this episode:
- The basic features of Instagram today – approaching 2021.
- 6 new Instagram features you should definitely be using for employer branding. And I’m sharing more than just the video tips written above.
Prefer listening to this podcast on the go? We are available on the following apps.
Clicking on the link takes you to the Building of Modern Employer Brand -podcast show in your chosen app. Click follow there and you will be notified weekly on a new episode!
SOUNDCLOUD | SPOTIFY | APPLE / ITUNES | STICHER RADIO APP | GOOGLE PODCASTS | AMAZON PRIME
Wanna get a better scoop of modern employer branding and talent marketing?
Subscribe to the Building a Modern Employer Brand Weekly Email!
Stop missing out on my weekly tip or insight and subscribe to the Weekly Email here >>
Join my Talent Community on Instagram!
I teach modern talent marketing and employer branding in bitesize on Instagram! Follow @talentmarketingpro if you don’t want to miss out on my talent marketing tips! What a great opportunity to expand your talent marketing acumen all for free!